Dr. Joseph Sgroi was talking about Hyperemesis Gravidarum on twitter recently and we chatted (tweeted? Twittered?) about a few different things related to that, so I thought it would be fun to have him on to talk about what he sees in his practice in Melbourne, Australia.
In this episode:
- h.pylori infections
- Urinary tract infections
- High levels of HCG
- Molar pregnancy
- Thyrotoxicosis: Here is an article that explains it better. It’s worth getting your thyroid hormone levels checked as being hyper and hypo can cause problems for you and the baby.
- Mutations at the hCG receptors and of the hormone itself, possibly.
- Misfiring could over-stimulate the thyroid
- No tests to predict this, unfortunately.
- Progesterone and Estrogen could also contribute to HG
- Can’t smell, can’t get HG? (Does anyone have any anecdotes about that?)
- Possible helps: REST, modify foods, acupressure, medication, being proactive, ginger (there are studies, as we know), zinc, hospitalizations
- Important to plan for pregnancy and maximize your health prior. Find out if you have any deficiencies.
To get in touch with Dr. Joseph Sgroi: